Quality of school lunches

Master debating inside. Enter at your own risk. Protection advised. ABSOLUTELY NO PERSONAL ATTACKS IN HERE, YOU WILL ONLY BE WARNED ONCE.
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Quality of school lunches

Post by chex »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/educ ... 7867.story

A school has banned lunches from home. What are your thoughts on this?

Some schools serve healthy lunches only, but allow children to bring lunches from home. I hear many people complaining (via sources like Yahoo News comments), saying that kids want healthier foods, they should bring them from home. Opinions?
Beany
Demimod

Re: Quality of school lunches

Post by Beany »

At our school we're never allowed to bring school lunches, which was a pain, until recently (they revamped the lunch menu), because the food was often unwashed (potatoes, etc), not totally cooked, mouldy, etc. But, even though it tastes better now, they don't always put out veg, and the fruit's still rotten. I think that all schools should give children the option to bring food from home, but only if they are monitored (to prevent anorexia, etc), but that school food should always have a really good balance of foods (not too much junk, etc) .
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

Parents are the ones who should teach their kids to eat healthy. Banning lunches from home is no help. Jamie Oliver tried to make canteen food more healthy at England's schools, some parents boykotted him by bringing their kids junk food during break time.
School food should be a healthy option (although it often is a question of money because usually it is funded with not very much money) but a balanced diet starts at home.
Pete McGiveris
Ancient Moderator

Post by Pete McGiveris »

chix wrote:A school has banned lunches from home. What are your thoughts on this?
That it's iron fisted, and sort of insane.
And I said "Baby you're lookin' good",
That's when I noticed her legs were wood...
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

Thing is, most people (schoolkids) pay around £5 for lunch each day here (not sure how localised though). But we still don't get very good quality food, because it has to cover all the teachers, kitchen staff, maintenance people, etc. Then they go and give some people a discount. WHY?! It's us who lose out!
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Post by chex »

Some people get a discount, because it'e the only way the kids could afford to eat.
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

I think the parents are the first ones responsible for their child's health/nutricion. It's great that schools offer healthy lunches, and even breakfast for their students. I don't think though that they should ban lunches from home.
Ali, I think it's a really bad thing if the canteen food is unwashed, undercooked or moulded/rotten. If that's the case the parents are paying way too much for the food, and I, as a parent would certainly not accept it.
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Post by Moe »

Well, since this is about school lunches Our school recently changed the lunch system... -- If you want an extra entrée, You have to pay the dollar out of your pocket when you pay for your lunch -- The way it used to be: The dollar for extras came out of your online lunch account...

---
But back on topic---
Our school has some decent lunches, at times... There are some that look, taste, and smell disgusting though..
Overall, I give our lunch program a 3.5/5
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

Sadly the reason why people at our school get a discount is because they don't usually have lunch at our part of school (it's the 6th-formers) . This means that, when they pay absolutely nothing, we get less than a portion of food, for enough money to buy lunch more than 3 times at my sister's school.

Also, we pay that much for caterpillars in the salad apparently :\ .
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
sizz
List Creator / Ancient Demimod

Post by sizz »

I've nearly always brought lunch from home, and i agree that healthy eating starts from home. The canteen food at my school is actually pretty good (some of it's a bit greasy and stuff but mostly it's okay) and they do things like paninis, shepherd's pie, pasta, roast dinner, that kind of thing. but it's so overpriced, so i generally bring stuff from home. At my school, most people bring stuff from home as well.

I don't think it's right to ban people from bringing their own lunch and i guess it also creates complications like for people with allergies and stuff. School lunches here are generally around £3 but if you just make some sandwiches at home it can be under £1. People who can't afford lunch and things may get discounts but what if you don't qualify for that but still want to save money?
chex wrote:Well we are pretty jabberwocky'.
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Banning lunches brought from home is foolish. People eat things... or don't eat things... based on family, culture, religion, health, and choice. Unless the school can provide all the different lunches, well, I think if you look a little bit you will see an inexperienced school administrator thinking this is a good idea to make money for the school. Not good.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
Clovvach
Hideous Demon Spawn

Post by Clovvach »

I agree with GreatZot, we have freedom to eat what we want.
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

Personally, I don't like it at all. Bella and Zot both hit the nail on the head for me.