Religion

Master debating inside. Enter at your own risk. Protection advised. ABSOLUTELY NO PERSONAL ATTACKS IN HERE, YOU WILL ONLY BE WARNED ONCE.
summer
Ancient Administrator

Religion

Post by summer »

The religion poll got me thinking.

So those of you who don't believe in God, why? What is your reasoning for choosing your faiths or lack of?

I believe in God because I believe in a power greater than man that created all the miracles and beauty on earth.
Yaz Pistachio
Chex's Long-Lost Brother

Re: Religion

Post by Yaz Pistachio »

I don't believe in God. But, I believe that one is possible. There is just no tangible proof. Science overpowers religion for me.

(That's basically the definition of agnosticism)
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Dr. Carl Sagan
Forky
Ancient Moderator

Post by Forky »

science got it's borders...
Eff
Demimod

Post by Eff »

I have alot to say. but i won't. i'll just say ther is god if you believe it or not.
I also believe that human ...umm Darvin stuff, we're monkies after all.
i am not a religion person, do stuff that jud'sm not allowed to, i almost not celebrating any Israeli holiday as i seposed to , but ...well too much writing and spelling mistakes involved in this one, so i quit this thread.

I believe in god, i don't trust him though.
Dowster wrote:This one time - also know as last Wednesday
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Post by chex »

I don't choose my lack of faith. I just simply don't believe.

Forky, science may have its boundaries, but those boundaries are expanding every day. And the reason those boundaries exist is that science explains things. We're still learning. It's pretty easy to avoid boundaries when you can explain things with "it's god's plan."
Forky
Ancient Moderator

Post by Forky »

Hmm, yes chex, we expand the boundaries everyday.
Though there are some parts we can't explain and might never will.
Fact is that our physic is just a basic explaniation of how things works. A kind of a model that fits to reality, and sometimes this model needs to be adjusted more and more. Like people thought the earth is a plate once and figured out it's not. And over the ages science builts up the model more and more and it works mostly.
Might be cause there show up more and more natural "constants" that you use in formulars.
I doubt that mankind will be able to explain everything with science...

Anyways, that can be discussed in another topic maybe... but yes mostly the influence of god or a higher beeing is assumed when you have no scientific or logical explanation for miracles or just the way of the nature.

I believe in a higher beeing/power,whatsocalled God. Though i doubt that god is only like written in the bible, koran or such. It's more a feeling inside that i know that something is there around universe. I totally doubt that we are given strict rules by this god though, mostly those rules that other people tell me that it is "god law".
chex

Post by chex »

Of course there are parts we cannot explain. As I said before, we are still learning. Just because we haven't discovered a scientific explanation, doesn't mean a god or gods are at work.
Forky
Ancient Moderator

Post by Forky »

Yeah that's true: only wanted to pin out that we can't learn everything or explain everything yet. Therefore mostly a god is anounced that praises us with rain *cough* as we offer some maidens.
Well, i more believe in a god cause of other reasons, more miracles or maybe emotions; just feelings that you know that it happened for a reason, not because it was, because it was.
At least believing can give some hope when you're down or cheer you up. And best thing is to share it though :D
lalalalaaa
Pete McGiveris
Ancient Moderator

Post by Pete McGiveris »

I have faith that this thread will quickly turn into a pissing match. I also have faith that people cannot talk about their religion without getting mad.

Having said that, I should probably throw my 2 cents in, there is no "god" or "gods" that watches out for us, we're alone while we're here. There's no "karma", too many bad things happen to good people, and vice versa, not to say that bad things don't sometimes happen to bad people, but that's kinda my point, things just happen. They don't need a reason. However, on the other side of the coin, who's to say that there isn't a "god" or "gods" out there, that just passively watched us while we're here, judging us for whatever comes after we die. Or, we just might rot, when we die, who knows? No one can, but there are too many people out there claiming that they can, preying on the rest of us, leeching on our fears.

Which leads me to religion. I hate religion, all religion. I don't hate people who practice relgion, I just think it has too great a potential to turn people into monsters, and we all know we don't need the excuse.
And I said "Baby you're lookin' good",
That's when I noticed her legs were wood...
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

I don't believe it will turn into that, as long as people only state their opinions without trying to convert anyone and accept other religious beliefs as well.
There have always been fervent zeolots using religion as an excuse to wage war, it's not religion itself since one of the fundamental belief of every religion is peace. It's people who blow it up, not any religion.
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

No, religion makes people crazy, I was waiting for this thread to explode too...
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

Pete McGiveris
Ancient Moderator

Post by Pete McGiveris »

bella wrote:I don't believe it will turn into that, as long as people only state their opinions without trying to convert anyone and accept other religious beliefs as well.
There have always been fervent zeolots using religion as an excuse to wage war, it's not religion itself since one of the fundamental belief of every religion is peace. It's people who blow it up, not any religion.
I understand that, that's kinda what I meant by the "we all know we don't need the excuse" line, Because people will always kill one another, that's in our nature, but as I said I hate when people need a crutch to do things, and that's what alot of people use religion for.
And I said "Baby you're lookin' good",
That's when I noticed her legs were wood...
Blondie
Founder of the NEL Arms

Post by Blondie »

It seems that the more that science advances, the more science cannot disprove the existence of God.
Infact it seems more likely that there is a God, because of what scientists are discovering.

Science seems to be proving, rather than disproving God's existence.

Isn't it true that many many scientists believe in God.
It's just all such an awesome miracle, the whole thing.
It's just way too amazing and complex.

(I believe in God btw)
Image This is not America. No, this is not. Sha la la la la
(Bowie)
chex

Post by chex »

Blondie wrote:It seems that the more that science advances, the more science cannot disprove the existence of God.
You can't prove a negative.
Blondie wrote: Infact it seems more likely that there is a God, because of what scientists are discovering.

[/color]
Any specifics here?
Blondie
Founder of the NEL Arms

Post by Blondie »

chex wrote:
Blondie wrote:It seems that the more that science advances, the more science cannot disprove the existence of God.
You can't prove a negative.
Well you know what I mean. :D

Science is seeming to prove rather than disprove the existence of God.
(Bowie)
chex

Post by chex »

How so?
Blondie
Founder of the NEL Arms

Post by Blondie »

The more science and scientists discover about our world, and our existence, the more miraculous it becomes.
(Bowie)
chex

Post by chex »

But how is that proving the existence of a supreme being?
Blondie
Founder of the NEL Arms

Post by Blondie »

Don't you get that feeling? That there is something more out there, far more powerful than we realise.

We can't see the wind, but we know it's there.
We can't see electicity but we know it's there.

Just for the record, I believe that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs.
Everyone has the right to believe in what they want.
I'm not disputing that.
(Bowie)