Want to rant about something? Or see me go on about something stupid? This is the place.
Clovvach
Hideous Demon Spawn

Post by Clovvach »

I was looking down this page of quotes you could like on facebook when I saw this:

"When I have children I want to have a son first, and then a daughter, so that my older son can beat up who ever makes my little girl cry"

Seriously?

I have so many problems with this quote.

FIRSTLY, it's sexist. This DIRECTLY implies that girls can't stand up for themselves, when they actually can, and that boys are always strong. These are smurf STEREOTYPES. THEY AREN'T REAL. I hate stereotypes especially ones that have to do with ones gender. I hate people who say "you can't do that, your a boy" or say to other people what girls/boys can/cannot do. People like the person who wrote this quote need to learn tolerance, respect, and that actual difference between a man in a woman. smurf sexist
SECONDLY, I hate it when people say "my so and so can beat you up, ooooohhhh they're older oooohhh" I don't care how old they are. It's not like age marks things like maturity, strength, etc. right? Just because your best friend is 3 years older than me, doesn't mean they can beat me up. I also hate it when people seem to rely on other people to protect them in that way. Hey I have no one like that for me, and I'm turning out fine! Obviously this person does not realize that "beating up" people is most of the time corrupt and wrong. smurf balloon knot.
THIRDLY, your precious baby girl is not the godess of morale. Your daughter will at one point in her life get upset about something she shouldn't, and your son will probably end up in jail. Sexist balloon knot.

I'm terrorized at how many likes it got.
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Re: Likes

Post by chex »

:like:
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

:like: too

Can I give you a hug?
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Post by Moe »

We are talking about stereotyping in both Global Issues and in English.
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Clovvach
Hideous Demon Spawn

Post by Clovvach »

LaLou wrote: Can I give you a hug?
Awwwwww, course you can. c:
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

... these people have a shock coming to them when they find out that they can't choose. Anyway, we're not living in medieval times. Girls can fend for themselves.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Dowster
Ancient Moderator

Post by Dowster »

Molly Weasley's Book of Faces comments

We're hoping for a boy and a girl

We had a boy, so hoping for a girl next

Well, we had another boy, but we love him just as much, got to be a girl next

Ok, twins and they're both boys. We love them anyway, fingers crossed for a girl next

Seriously another boy? yeah, we love him anyway, but if we don't get a girl next I'm gonna have Arthur's balls tested for jinxes

We had a girl!! Now we can shut down the production line :)

If anyone ever tries to hurt her, I`ll make sure I have a cool line to say that everyone will think is awesome, but also shows that she's ever so slightly our favorite. At least it will go some way towards explaining why our youngest son will probably have a bit of an inferiority complex and a tendancy to get sulkly if he ends up with a famous best friend who gets more attention than he does.

But at least they can all beat people up for her :D
Eff
Demimod

Post by Eff »

I have two older brothers , they used to beat up every balloon knot who said \do\ breath wrong around me. they still do , till this day . I think it rocks!
so..me.. dont like :D
Dowster wrote:This one time - also know as last Wednesday
Mouse
*must post whore*

Post by Mouse »

Good God. Stop taking things so seriously. Go be a kid for Christsake. If you keep letting every little thing upset you so, you'll be old and jaded by the time you're 20!

GO, say stupid things, do stupid things. BE A KID! There's plenty of time to be old and jaded when you're old.
Clovvach
Hideous Demon Spawn

Post by Clovvach »

Um, it's not little when these types of things have a HUGE effect on how you are treated by other people. More than it should, you have no idea, I'm dead serious. It's not this in particular that made me angry, but the fact that people actually threaten to beat me up, and give me this "Stay away from my daughter" crap, and treat me as if I were a bad person.

It REALLY DOES effect your life, I don't know about you, and it all comes down to the simple things like these that set standards and stereotypes that make people do things and disregard the feelings of others based on simple crap like weather they are a man or a woman, and while all this is going on, the last thing I want to do is to "do stupid things"
Mouse
*must post whore*

Post by Mouse »

If people are threatening you and telling you to stay away from someone and you want it to stop... comply. It'll stop.
Clovvach
Hideous Demon Spawn

Post by Clovvach »

What, do you think I'm talking about one person? I'm talking about society in general. The way people get treated is still just as sexist, and just as wrong. Plus, that doesn't cover everything, people still are left with the impression that girls can't fend for themselves, and that I should be kept away from. People still judge me for being male regardless on how I act at all.
Mouse
*must post whore*

Post by Mouse »

So, you get upset about generalizations but do so yourself?
Dowster
Ancient Moderator

Post by Dowster »

I'm very much on both sides with this one now. I always think that anyone should rant about anything they like as often as they like, as long as they have an outlet for it that's not bothering anyone else. Because even with the most petty things, getting them out, is much better then bottling them up just because you find them unworthy of being mentioned. A few little things every day ignored, pushed aside and unacknowledged can end up having someone wound up pretty tight.

That said, there are so many things that people do worry about, when there's really no need in the first place, and this kind of thing for me is one of them, I don't really care too much what stupid ideas and stereotypes people have and live by. It's likely that 90 out of every 100 people that you meet will judge you right away based on some misguided preconception, whether it's because of your gender, background, religion, physical appearance, name, shoe size or whatever, but honestly 90 out of every 100 people that you meet throughout your life, aren't really worth getting to know anyway.

I've never been one to totally buy that we all need other people. They are a pretty fundamental accessory to our lives, but first and foremost what we all have is ourselves. Then there's our family - who we're usually stuck with, however stoopid they may be, but at least some of them should have known you long enough that they never had the opportunity to judge you before getting to know you. After that - and only after, are other people, and while there may only be a limited pool of people that you`ll meet who are able to think and act for themselves. They're really the only ones you want to bother with. Anyone who judges me, you, or anyone else because of some generalisation, can go and do whatever the hell they like, because I have no interest in them. If it's gonna lead to people harrasing or persecuting you, then something has to be done about it, but if some random nobody expresses a dumb opinion, then it's entirely their own problem. Not yours and not mine

It's a waste of energy trying to change the world, there's too many people who's minds are firmly set in what they already believe and closed off to anything else. Just worry about your own world and if you can spread out a bit from there, all well and good. If not.. smurf it.
Clovvach
Hideous Demon Spawn

Post by Clovvach »

Mouse wrote:So, you get upset about generalizations but do so yourself?
I'm not blaming everyone (or at least I do not want it to appear that way), I just think this way of being treated is still wrong, threats are wrong, sexism is wrong, you know what I'm saying, etc.

I've let it pass but recently I think it's been getting to much.
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

I doubt you are judged for being male and if you are talking about society in general it is generalisation. Maybe you are reading too much into what they said.
Clovvach
Hideous Demon Spawn

Post by Clovvach »

maybe