Thanksgiving

Don't lie. You're singing the song now, aren't you?

Moderator: Yaz Pistachio

Wesley
GOD

Re: Thanksgiving

Post by Wesley »

Here is a nice and amusing article that is about food, and it is also Thanksgiving related.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2012/11/2 ... n=20121127
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Post by chex »

It's that time of year again. Yay! :D It's also my first time making the entire meal (mostly) on my own. Yikes! It will just be my kids, me, and possibly soon-to-be-ex-Mr. chex, if he decides to join us. I told him he's still welcome, because I know the kids would like him there.

Our meal will include:
turkey (my mommy's recipe, but cooked by me. My first turkey ever. I'm scared.)
stuffing (ditto)
mashed potatoes
gravy
green bean casserole (made by FL, with minimum supervision)
sweet potato casserole
ginger-orange squash (AJ will help a bit)
cranberry sauce (homemade, damn it!)
pumpkin pie (mostly made by AJ)
store bought :( rolls
homemade butter (CP is helping with this)
homemade whipped cream for the pie (CP is helping with this as well)

Yeah, only one pie this year. It makes me sad too.
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

I love it how you have the kids help to make dinner.
(Somehow the grammar in that sentence seems wrong, but I don't know where.)
chex

Post by chex »

I'm so excited for Thanksgiving this year! (When am I not? :lol: ) The kids and I are going to my mom's house, and I won't have to deal with exchex. Woohoo!! We have all our usual recipes, plus two new ones. My mom is making a grasshopper pie, and Froot Loop asked if we could have broccoli at Thanksgiving, so she and I found a recipe for broccoli and cheese casserole that doesn't use any canned soups. She is insisting on making it herself, along with her green bean casserole, so I wanted to teach her how to do more from scratch.

I'm bringing my homemade butter this year too. Last year was my first time making it, so it will be new to everyone but me and my little breakfast cereals.

I can't remember if I've mentioned this here before, but I'm also in the process of putting together a cookbook with all of my family's turkey dinner recipes. I'm doing it scrapbook style, with anecdotes and quotes from everyone in the family. I get to take pictures of all the food, and I'm going to get a shot of all the kids (my three and my baby niece) around the table for the front page of the book.
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

I'd buy that book.
chex

Post by chex »

I had to cancel plans with a friend this weekend so I could adult and get ready for Thanksgiving. I'm taking a short break from the prep, but as usual, I'm very excited about the menu this year. :D We have our standard fare, and this year I'm doing a cheese tray for the appetizer, instead of the usual veggie tray. Brie, mozzarella, cheddar, gouda, three kinds of crackers, prosciutto, apricot spread, grapes, pickled onion, and walnuts. And my mom is adding a weird peanut butter cheese...

I don't have much else I'm making this year. My kids are all asking to make the dishes we usually bring. The broccoli casserole we tried last year has become a permanent addition to the meal. It just keeps growing... I'm okay with this. :D
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

Ah the America Thanksgivings. I want more turkey.

F'n turkey ban. You guys have better more succulent turkeys but had to screw it up with the avian flu so I can't take one across the border for Xmas didn't ya?!?!
chex

Post by chex »

More for us!
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

I know this is technically a food thread, but I have a Thanksgiving question and there's no point starting a whole new thread for one question. Turkey pardoning - why? Is it symbolic or just something done on this strange day?
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Turkey Pardoning is kind of like asking that groundhog if Spring is coming. Just a cute publicity thing.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~