WSOP

Want to rant about something? Or see me go on about something stupid? This is the place.
Wesley
GOD

WSOP

Post by Wesley »

No, not cognac. I am about to rant about the World Series Of Poker. Tonight I was watching the UFC fight and I was thinking about how they do 5 minute rounds with only a short rest in between. Not really long enough to put yourself back together. It reminded me of the original UFC where there were no time limits and only 1 or 2 rules. How would these fighters do if they could not be saved by the bell, if they did not have time to formulate a new strategy? It would be more like going to war. You have to have everything you need as soon as they say,"Go!"

Here is where it comes back around to my original topic. The integrity of the World Series Of Poker has suffered because of its popularity. It is now very crowded, and it is no longer held at Binion's Horseshoe. The ultimate slap in the face to traditional poker is the fact that a few weeks ago they played until they got down to one table... and then they told everyone left to go home. Yeah, rest, think about your play, analyze your opponents, then come back in 2 or 3 months to actually play the final table. What?!? How is this a tournament? It would be like calling the Penn - Florian match in round 3, letting the fighters go home and recuperate and train for 3 weeks and get back in the ring to decide who is the winner. I think you would all agree with me that it is not the same match. In 3 weeks everything changes. It is the same with poker. Part of the mystique of the World Series is that it was single elimination, and you played until there was a winner. Physical and mental endurance played a big part right along with some luck, knowledge, and skill. I feel that now it is no longer the World Series Of Poker, but rather a televised, publicized, commercialized bunch of poker players and the winner of this match in a few weeks will most likely NOT be the most skilled player at the table. But they WILL get a commercial deal and their name on a t-shirt.

Seriously, how could you put a month long break in anything and call it the same tournament? Sheesh.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
Eff
Demimod

Re: WSOP

Post by Eff »

I know nothing about poker but it is obvious that is all about money, as you said commercialz and stuff ,it is stupid.
money money money.
Everything (almost everything) in life drain to money-matter ,money interest.
Dowster wrote:This one time - also know as last Wednesday