Republican Candidates

Want to rant about something? Or see me go on about something stupid? This is the place.
Shay
recuerdame

Republican Candidates

Post by Shay »

My super short two-cent rant.

HOW THE HELL IS THIS OUR SELECTION FOR THE REPUBLICAN CANDIDATES!?!?!? How on earth can this be all there is available to support the Republican party? If they're not completely off their rocker, they're down-right smurf dumb and traitorous.

Disclaimer: I am an Independent. Not leaning towards one side or the other usually, but c'moooooon. Seriously? This is the line up?
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Re: Republican Candidates

Post by chex »

I'd say it's like Christmas, but stupid people vote too.
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

It is sad, but it seems like I say this every four years: I wish any party would give us a candidate worth voting for. I don't care if they are Dem, Rep, Ind, Green, Lib, or whatever. If they are not an idiot, and if they have the best interests of THE COUNTRY at heart, not just themselves or a few rich business groups, then I will vote for them. He got a bad shake in the 70s, but if Jimmy Carter were to run now, with all the wisdom and experience he has gained since he lost to Reagan, I would totally vote for him.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
Yaz Pistachio
Chex's Long-Lost Brother

Post by Yaz Pistachio »

Luckily, I think a lot of Americans feel the same way, Shay - they look at Romney or Santorum and think "Really? Out of ALL the Republicans in the entire country, THIS is what you could come up with?" I'm proud of myself for somewhat keeping up with the presidential race; I find it rather interesting. And whenever I read another article about something stupid that Santorum or Romney has said, or about Newt Gingrich's many wives, I just hope that those kinds of stories keep coming so they just dig themselves deeper into a whole.

Now, this may not be the most politically wise thing, but because I'm only sixteen and I really don't notice things like how the economy affects me or foreign policy or pro-choice/pro-life debates, the most important issue in my mind is gay marriage. Again, I may be really naïve for me to say, but right now that's the only issue that I can connect with and know right now that it will definitely affect me later in life. And when I hear about Santorum or Romney arguing against gay marriage and saying gay people are lesser human beings, it just makes me see red.

For that reason specifically, Santorum and Romney make me want to vomit. I have no idea about their economic policies, and maybe they're not half bad. But - even though it may be naïve and childish - because they can openly treat an entire group of people as second class citizens, and think that that's okay, they will never receive my support, whether I'm old enough to vote or not.
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Dr. Carl Sagan
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

Soon enough you'll be able to vote and I hope all the people who think like you go and vote to make a difference.
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Post by chex »

What pisses me off is when people dismiss marriage equality and women's rights as unimportant compared to the economy and wars. If you're saying that, I can almost guarantee it's because you don't have to worry about whether or not you can get married, or make reproductive decisions for yourself.

So Yaz, I don't think you're naive at all.
Yaz Pistachio
Chex's Long-Lost Brother

Post by Yaz Pistachio »

I hope so too, bells. :D

Thanks, chex. I just don't like how people can see civil rights as a less important issue than the economy - they're equally important. But all of the Republican candidates input their own personal religious beliefs into it without any real justification as to why two men or women shouldn't be able to get married, or as to why women should not be allowed to get abortions.

Well I'll be voting in the 2016 election, and I can tell you right now, I'm either voting Democrat or Libertarian. Or if no one supports marriage equality, then I'd abstain from voting.
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

The problem with candidates these days is that if they are actually capable they don't dare to make a point because they don't want to scare away the swing voters. All of the Republican canditates are against equal marriage rights, and if I'm not mistaken, so is Obama. Does he say so officially? No, because the election campaign is on.
Yaz Pistachio
Chex's Long-Lost Brother

Post by Yaz Pistachio »

I'm not sure if he is or not. He did have his administration stop defending the Defense of Marriage Act, and has made multiple speeches about the LGBT community.