District 9 flaws (SPOLIER ALERT!)

Review all movies, new or old here! Lots of people on this forum like to talk about movies, so if you have a movie to discuss just make a topic for it! These topics will be full of SPOILERS!
Clarence
Game Destroyer

District 9 flaws (SPOLIER ALERT!)

Post by Clarence »

Ok, I seen this movie with Tim, and after all the hype I was EXTREMELY disappointed, the movie had more flaws then I can name, but I'm going to try:

Anyone can feel free to add to this list, but I challenge anyone to dispute half of these. They're in no particular order:

1.) The ship always worked: Ok, the biggest flaw of the movie in my opinion was the fact that the alien ship worked the whole time? Yeah, at the end of the movie they beam up to the ship and fly away.... couldn't they have done this before? Why the smurf did they stick around earth for 20 years? What was their mission? Come to Earth and hang around for 3 months, starving to death until someone finally came over and took them off the ship???

2.) Humans are balloon knot: I'm very upset the way humans are portrayed in this movie.... they're complete balloon knot, most of the time picking on helpless aliens and being raciest.... like wtf. Not a single human showed any redeemable qualities, yet the aliens, epically the father and his son seemed very nice and likable. If this somehow really happened, I doubt we would be this horrible towards the situation.

3.) The main character sucks: The main character is a complete balloon knot.... even when he's trying to do the right thing..... he still sucks, and at no point do you care what happens to him. You just want to see him get killed. When the main character is unlikable, how can you be in suspense or care if he's going to die?

4.) The alien fuel turns people into monsters: Ok, so the fuel in the canister sprayed that guy in the face, and it started transforming him into an alien....... why???? wtf. Why does their fuel have this kind of power, why do they need to use that complicated of fuel to power their ship????

5.) The main characters transformation makes no sense: Right.... so the canister shot him in the FACE, yet the transformation seems to originate from his left hand...... think about this. If it shot him in the face... shouldn't his face have turned into an alien first??? Why did his left hand start turning into an alien? I mean maybe he should have spilled it on his hand. It doesn't make any sense for the infection to start on ONE of his random hands, when he was sprayed in the FACE!

6.) Plot convenience : This bothers me too, the aliens spent 20 years making the fuel to power the small ship.... right? But they only get it finished THE EXACT day they're all getting evicted and all hell breaks loose..... too bad they couldn't have done it like the day before.... they would have been able to get the hell out of there and no problems.

7.) How did they hide the smaller ship? : How did they do this? At what point did they manage to hide a small ship under one of their bunkers? Like.... did they bring it down in the middle of the night, dig a huge hole, and then cover it with sand, and hide the small ship and then build a bunker on top of it.... all while nobody noticed???

8.) The Father and son leave everyone behind: Wow, the Father and son alien left earth... but didn't take anyone with them..... what else do I have to say about this?

9.) The aliens and humans understand each other : This shazam! pissed me off too, how did the humans know what the aliens were saying? All they did was make clicking noises..... at one point the main character says "I didn't understand you, you were clicking too fast", this was never explained!!!

10.) Weapons for catfood: So the aliens traded their weapons for catfood....... ummmm.... couldn't the aliens have just shot the people and TOOK the cat food? Better yet, why didn't they use the weapons from the start to help them out of their situation and get home???

11.) The gang leader's plan makes no sense: Ok, so that gang leader had the main character in his hideout..... and for some reason the gang leader doesn't walk but has everyone carry him around. His plan was to eat the main characters arm.... so he could BECOME him..... wtf kind of plan is that? How does this make any sense???

12.) A random pig comes on screen: Did anyone notice when the main character was shooting at people, that a random pig (that looked really fake) came on screen and grabbed on to that robot's arm??? THAT WAS THE STUPIDEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN EVER! If a pig did somehow roam into a fight scene like that, he wouldn't come up to the weapon and grab on to it. Who even decided to put a pig into a fight scene like this anyway?

13.) How come no aliens came to look for their stranded friends? : So back on the alien home world they see that the ship they sent to Earth didn't come home..... it's been a few years.. then 20 years? Wow...... nobody thought to go looking for them?

14.) The Main character is about to get his heart removed: Remember that scene where they had the main character on the operating table, just before he escaped? They were going to take his heart out...... they were holding him down and about to take a little saw of some sort to him.... while he was FULLY CONSCIOUS and alive! Why wouldn't they shoot him in the head, or use some sleeping gas or something on him to make the operation easier? You know he's just going to escape and cause a big headache later on.

15.) The "3 years" thing: So the alien gains the main character's trust and is about to get on the ship..... all is well, their friends..... then the main character asks "So.... when can you turn me human again? At this point the alien should have said "Oh, very soon, we'll get you fixed up right away". You know, that would have been nice to help maintain the friendship...... but no....

The alien actually says "It'll take about 3 years to fix you.... I gotta do some things first"

WOW

And this destroys the friendship and the main character hits him in the head with a blunt object. If this alien is super smart and can master space travel, shouldn't he told him about the 3 year thing after they got the small ship to the mother ship?

16.) Why are the alien and human still friends? : So the main character smashes him with something and just leaves him there to die, and flies the small ship away.... then the small ship gets shot down. At this point the alien in the red jacket (We'll call him Bill), is betrayed and left to die.

For no reason the main character (I forget his name.... we'll call him smurf), gets into a robot machine and saves Bill from the army guys.

So smurf and alien bill are running away and they try to do a sad farewell scene.... which is drawn out and not sad at all, and as they're saying goodbye Bill the alien says "I'll come back for you......... in 3 years!"

:roll:

17.) Why did they take the aliens off the ship? : So the humans busted into the ship and then moved everyone from the ship to the middle of a city..... which just pissed everyone off, humans and aliens alike. They moved the aliens to earth because they were starving to death? How much food did they bring? Why would they be starving to death after 3 months? If I go to space I wanna bring more food I think.

Anyway, they take the aliens and put them on earth..... who knows how they even pulled that one off, and gave them a really piss poor place to live that sucked... and everyone complained....

Then after 20 years they decide...... you know what.... let's move them... too many people are pissed off that they're in the middle of this city.... let's move them to like the desert..... and give them little white car tents to live in..... nobody will know who's house is who's cause they'll all look the same.....

Oh, and living under an enormous spaceship like that must suck..... the sun could never shine when you live under there.... it would always be dark and cold...

18.) The soldier guy says he's done this "100 times before": So main character is coming and has this alien hand and is coming to storm the building. The head army guy tells the other army guy to be careful and capture the main character and make sure he's taken alive, because he's so important. Then the army guy says "Don't worry, I've done this 100 times before"

Really? You've handled that situation 100 times before? Trying to capture and detain a run away half human and half alien guy? That smurf up has happened 100 times before? I guess they don't learn from their mistakes well, huh?

19.) The ship is out of fuel..... but can still hover above the city for 20 years? So.. what device was in place here that kept the ship in still orbit above the city for 20 years? Something had to hold it up the whole time...
MisTer Pockets
Ancient Moderator

Re: District 9 flaws (SPOLIER ALERT!)

Post by MisTer Pockets »

This post genuinely pissed me off....I would comment on some of these but it is 4:45am and I need sleep.
Pete McGiveris
Ancient Moderator

Post by Pete McGiveris »

This movie was utter garbage. I didn't give two flying smurf about the main character, not even close. The pacing felt like it was filmed by someone who had ADD, there wasn't one cut in the movie that lasted over 30 seconds. It couldn't decide whether it wanted to have a documentary-type feel, or an actual movie type feel, so what does the movie have going for it? Sympathetic looking aliens, I guess. There wasn't one actual character in that movie, they were all props. The most laughable one, being the leader of that gang in District 9. My favorite part in the whole movie was where he was trying to cut the lead character's arm off, and he says "I'm going to eat your arm, and become just like you!" smurf! Why didn't they give him one of those handlebar moustaches, then he could stroke that at the end, and have a manical laugh! Why don't you just tie him to a log, and throw him over the falls where a buzz saw is waiting at the bottom, Snidely!

And the whole plot convience thing was pretty insane. Aliens hanging around in a mother ship that is completely functional, and starving to death, just waiting for human help? Sweet Jesus! The prawn have master inter-galactic travel, yet not one of them thought to bring food for a smurf three month journey?!?!

How did that meeting go, when someone pitched a pig-launcher, anyway? They were sitting around, going "OK, we need something to really pull anyone who had invested themselves emotionally in this movie, to go "what the smurf?", any ideas?" and then, one guy at the back, who was smoking meth out of a dirty light bulb bellows "PIG-LAUNCHER!!!" and everyone is like, "that's awesome Gary! That'll totally make people question why they're here!"
And I said "Baby you're lookin' good",
That's when I noticed her legs were wood...
Anonymous123

Post by Anonymous123 »

Ok... well yeah, the language thing was odd to say the least.

1 - ok, I inda agree w/ ya there. I think the "shuttle" once fueled, was capable of powering & controlling the mothership remotely. Why they had to retrieve their own parts from garbage dumps to collect fuel puzzles me though.

2 - Apparently the director went to 3rd world countries and interviewed the people about the refugee camps in the area. A lot of the real world responses were transposed into a Alien/Human relationship. ie: Not in my back yard scenario.

"Humans are portrayed as butt nuggets"... ummm. like I said above. these are real world responses to refugee camps, so I think he portrayed humans accurately.

3- Yup. the main character does suck. He is the bad guy in the movie. "Hear that popping sound? thats the little babies popping out of their eggs into the fire..." Yeah, I don't think the director intended him to be very likable...

4 - Yeah, I have to agree with you on that one... wtf.... alien fuel morph's humans... hmmmm, now a zombie I would have believed... haha

Oh, and its a alien vessel travelling @ the speed of light, so yeah, I suspect their fuel would be complicated to make... Its complicated making a nuclear power rocket engine too, but they do it... but maybe you know a simple way of making FTL fuel so I shouldn't fixate on the word 'complicated' so much.

5 - Yeah... the transformation via alien fuel makes little sense... burning a hole in his face would have been more believable I think.

6 - Yeah the plot is convenient. The fuel was for both the mothership & shuttle. For all we know, the shuttle was the 'gas tank' for the ship... It makes sense, if you abandon ship, take the fuel...

As for the timing... yeah, but that is showbiz. If they completed it the day before, or 19 years earlier. There would be no show. They came, re-fueled and left... Which is probably more realistic scenario... I sure ET visitors would see us a power hungry 'butt nuggets' and not want to stay longer then necessary.

7 - The shuttle 'broke' off right after the mothership arrived. People looked all over for it and couldn't find it. I think it camouflaged itself or buried itself or something...

8 - Yeah, leaving everyone behind stumped me too. except I think they were out of food or in short supply... perhaps only enough for a small crew to seek help from the home world. I pictured the remaining aliens/bugs looking up and saying WTF!?

9 - yeah, although after watching a couple time, I learned yes... clickity click click... who knows what could be learned after 20 yrs.

10 - hmmm, its probably not wise for a small group (1.8 million) to start a war when your stranded somewhere... we would just stop giving them cat food. Also, as I understand it, they seemed to be almost addicted to cat food. but nugget humans will sell out their mother for a fix.

11 - I believe this relates to the Voodoo religion, or such. Whereas to eat or devour your enemy allows you to take on their attributes... Lots of butt nugget humans still do this to this day.... Cannabal tribes eat their elders to gain their knowledge... I know wtf... but like you so aptly put it... butt nugget humans...

12 - Did you ever play the game "Half Life"? I think this is where the idea for the gun came. Its a gravaton gun. Creates a gravity field attracting projectiles to it. Then it can reverse the field and repel said objects.... Like the pig. Remember when everyone was firing at the robot and the bullets just collected in mid air? Then it reversed the field and fired them all back? Graviton gun... or whatever its called.

In the game half life, a toilet is often fired about...

13 - Did you ever see "Lost In Space"? Although in all fairness, yes a contingency planned should have been in place for just such an emergency. So, at best, they would have been stranded for about 1.5 years (3 yr round trip) maybe a little longer.

14 - They tried to put a mask over his face, but he was resisting (obviously), so they said smurf it... cut him open... well, they didn't say that... but I do believe it was implied... Just like firing the gun, they didn't care if he agreed to pull the trigger, they just zapped him and made him convulse...

I guess they figured if they cut open his chest and rip out his heart, he would stop twitching about so much and the operation would go easier.

15 - Your assuming the aliens are conniving butt nuggets. In truth, they were a honest and trusting race. As portrayed in the cat food / firearms deal. When they said... "You, wait here!", "What, what do you want?" ... "These aliens are so stupid" and they sneak up behind and proceed to cut him up for the black market.

again, the butt nugget human over reacts and incapacitates his only hope for help. Did he think he could fly up to the mothership, and reverse the genetic manipulation himself!? dumb dumb dumb human....

The only reason the alien didn't want to help right away was because the special fuel was required for both the medical procedure and fuel for the mothership. In order to travel quickly, he needed ALL the fuel (except for what was sprayed out I guess lol) I guess that last drop wasn't so important afterall and in hindsight, they probably should have left a day earlier (or however long it took them to find that last drop).... but like i said earlier, thats showbiz..

His priorities & time changed when he learned his brethren were being subjected to medical experiments.

16 - The human hears the army guys talking about killing "Bill" because he won't talk. The human felt compassion and sympathy and helped defenseless bill. Thus rekindling their friendship.

17 - I'm sure the astronaughts are happy to get out of that tin can of a space shuttle once they return after a weeks in space. I'm sure the aliens would appreciate the outdoors after a 1.5 yr trip in their mothership (@ least 1.5 yrs, since we don't know for sure they came directly from their home planet to earth)

yeah, living under a space ship would suck, but so does living next to a highrise, highway or airport...

18 - Yeah, I was puzzled by that too, but at the end, one person says, He is the only one to have transformed and lived. The suggestion being they tried and all the others died in the past. Maybe subjects had to be terminated.... dunno...

19 - What device keeps the ship in the air!? Oh come on. Its called a flying saucer for a reason. It is the same device every flying saucer uses to stay in the air. You cannot assume all their technology has to be fueled to work.

Besides, it is a UFO science fiction movie. Expecting every detail to fit into your understanding of physics is not the directors intent. Or anyone's intent when writing sci-fi.

Overall, I quite enjoyed the movie. Can't wait for the sequel.
Anonymous234

Post by Anonymous234 »

Ok, I seen this avatar, and I was EXTREMELY disappointed, the avatar had more flaws then I can name, but I'm going to try:

Milk doesn't know that dance move.
Milk has no muscles so cannot move its arm or legs to dance.
Milk has no arms and legs.
Milk has no brain to control it's arms or legs
Milk can't dance.
Why is the Milk carton smiling?
What gives the Milk carton power to move....

Ohhhh, its just a funny gif picture you might say!? Just like the movie... Its just a funny at times, sci-fi. Its not meant to be factual or conform to our reality.

Captain Kirk: Beam me up Scotty!
Scotty: Huh!? That makes no sense!
Director: CUT CUT CUT
Eff
Demimod

Post by Eff »

I get your point about the milk thing yes, milk can't dance. but what you did not know is the FACT that Clarence's milk gets it insperation from the dancing jesus. cool yes?
Dowster wrote:This one time - also know as last Wednesday

Post by Guest »

I'm glad the point could be seen... I was afraid it was to obscure and would be seen as an attack... phew. ;-)

I did notice the dancing jesus's and your right I did not know where the milk's inspiration came from to dance.

But, since you mentioned it, that would explain the avatar's abilities... Jesus... ;-)

Yes, very kewl. (& truthfully, I actually like the dancing milk avatar)

In honesty, I just intended to answer some of his questions. ie: why this or that. It makes the movie more enjoyable when you understand what & why things are happening.... Such is the case in any movie.

But, like a previous poster, something about it was pissing me off too... can't quite put my finger on it...

It just sounds like a review from someone who either slept through half of it, or asked so many questions during the movie, they missed their own answers... Which isn't fair.

Although, in all fairness, I've seen it like 4 times, sooo.... you always catch something you missed in the 1st viewing....

Anyway, peace!
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Post by chex »

You should make an account.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:... something about it was pissing me off too... can't quite put my finger on it...
Ah, I bet this is why I got emotional.... Just a guess... hehe

"I challenge anyone to dispute half of these."

Challenge.... yeah, must've triggered something subconsiously I guess....
lmao @ myself.... :oops:

peace... :)
Pete McGiveris
Ancient Moderator

Post by Pete McGiveris »

OK, in all honesty, alot of Clarence's posts were nit-picking, but number 1 alone was a super valid point, and would have pretty well ruined the movie for me if I had cared at that point, which I didn't. That alone pushed my suspension of disbelief to limits not seen since Terminator 3.

I agree with what your saying about it being a sci-fi movie, and not everything has to be believable, but it would have been nice if at least the aliens had some sort of survival instinct. And, also, a main character that I could root for would have been nice. And, a character in general that wasn't just a prop.

One of the biggest things about that movie that got my goat was that the main character had zero problem killing several dozen alien fetuses, but when it came to shooting a full grown alien male, he didn't have the stomach for it? Someone want to explain that one to me? Usually in a story, we can see something happened to the character that caused this change, and we learn to like this character, while this guy just changed to serve the movie. That was a huge cop-out.

BTW, I'm not trying to flame you or anything, if you loved the movie, that's awesome, I'm happy for you, I'm just sort of debating I guess.
Pete McGiveris
Ancient Moderator

Post by Pete McGiveris »

Anonymous234 wrote:Its just a funny at times
Wait....what? What part of this movie was even remotely funny? Like, at all?

Oh, maybe you meant unintentionally funny. Even then though, I can't think of any part that made me laugh. I did laugh, but it was more of a exasperated, head in hand, "make it stop, please" kind of laugh.

Post by Guest »

Yeah, the language barrier was really stretching things....

I know this sounds dumb... but I think there was an abortion theme in there. The hero (ok... lead character) doesn't mind killing the babies in the eggs... but once they are running around he draws the line. As illustrated in both the egg scene (to control population) and when they tried to evict the 'ring leader'. The ring leader's kid was running around and the cop asks if he should shoot him and the lead character says ... no, we can't do that now...

Oh, that reminds me of a funny part... when the lead character tries to bribe the little kid with a chocolate bar or something and the kids throws it back at the character face... Now ya gotta admit, that was worth a laugh....
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Post by Moe »

this would fit in the movie ruiner subforum
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men