Dubstep

Want to share your favourite song? Talk about an awesome band? Do it here!
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Dubstep

Post by Moe »

Do any of you guys listen to dubstep?

Apparently a good number of my gamer friends(from school) listen to dubstep, so I listened to a little bit.. I'm undecided on if I like it or not, lol.
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Shay
recuerdame

Re: Dubstep

Post by Shay »

A lot of people think dubstep is the be all to electronic music. Personally, it's not really my thing. When it comes to electronic music, I tend to lean more towards house music. I do love lots of other techno, trance, and dance music. But my main issue with dubstep is the loud screechiness. I'm just not a fan.
Moe

Post by Moe »

After creating a Pandora station for it and listening for a little bit, I came to a realization... 8/10 of these songs sound pretty much the exact same to me...
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

I have a friend who makes music with analog synths, plugging cables and twisting knobs and creating soundscapes that are sometimes pleasant, sometimes chaotic. I asked his opinion of dubstep, and his words were,"...Devoid of all talent and emotion."
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

Agreed.
Clovvach
Hideous Demon Spawn

Post by Clovvach »

I can enjoy any music if I listen to it with the right mindset. Personally dubstep is way better a cappella.

PTS CHR WWOWOWOWOWOOWOWOWO PST CHE EEEEEEEEEE pts WOOOOOoooooooOOOOOOWWW EEEE AAA "This is a quote from an old movie"
__________________WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW PCHCHEWOWOWOWPCHEWOOOOOWPCHEWOWOWOWOOWW Psshhh...

I'm a rock/pop/jazz person personally.
Moe

Post by Moe »

Clovvach wrote:I'm a rock/pop/jazz person personally.
I'm not much of a Pop/Rap person. I enjoy a few Country songs.. and I don't really listen to Jazz.

I'd say I'm a rock/metal person

- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
sizz
List Creator / Ancient Demimod

Post by sizz »

Dubstep was so good when it started out because it was just generally pretty cool. i love how it developed last year (in the UK- i don't even know about american dubstep) when it got into the charts and people came along like katy b and dj fresh and shazam!... and i love all that, i think its really great.
GreatZot wrote: I have a friend who makes music with analog synths, plugging cables and twisting knobs and creating soundscapes that are sometimes pleasant, sometimes chaotic. I asked his opinion of dubstep, and his words were,"...Devoid of all talent and emotion."
i would agree mostly, but it sort of depends what you're judging it on though. Talent is pretty relative- i mean there would be no doubt that people like Nero have less talent than say, Beethoven. But then Nero have talent for electronic music- and electronic music is an art and is hard to get right; i still can't get the hang of it. you have to have a knack for it to get a good tune.

As for emotion, well i wouldn't say that emotion necessarily leads to good music. Take a song like Come Together by The Beatles. That's a brilliant song but er, there's not actually much emotion in it. Actually, a load of completely weird songs are brilliant because they're trying to do something awesome and new rather than be emotional. Then you get all these fekking ballads which are dead emotional but also make you want to smash your radio in.
Shay wrote:But my main issue with dubstep is the loud screechiness.
Wrong kind of dubstep!! i dunno if you like the blackout, but this dubstep remix beats the original rock version a million times youtube.com/watch?v=pt46r2FRekE

Also, i doubt Katy B is big in the US, but she was pretty big here last year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6tHw4yIDok&ob=av2n

On another note, i'm only really into the mainstream dubstep though, so i reckon a true fan would probably tell me i'm listening to it all wrong :lol:
chex wrote:Well we are pretty jabberwocky'.
Moe

Post by Moe »

@sizz

Skrillex?
Skrillex is one that's popular among my circle of friends.

------

I integrated Dubstep into my Pandora playlist, and although my usual music taste is in rock, the occasional dubstep song is an acceptable addition.

- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

So a couple months ago I was introduced to plug.dj which is basically an online social site where you can make playlists, chat, and share music via youtube videos and soundcloud files. In the process, I have come across a few...very few...songs containing dubstep that I actually enjoy. My overall opinion of dubstep is still the same, but there are always exceptions for everything. So I've decided to post them here from time to time. :3

Blackmill - Spirit Of Life Senses Of Nature 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETrHN05694I
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

Yuna - Lullabies (Adventure Club Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsGiBwK4Ycc
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

Ambassadors - Unconsolable (Kashuks Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljw28OA_-64
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

Ok, seriously, I really freaking LOVE that last one I posted.

I'm curious as to your guys' thoughts?
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

I like that last one. For some strange, unknown reason I really like dubstep. Albeit that, as with everything, there are good and bad songs around.
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

Ko Ko - Float (Sound Remedy Remix) [Dubstep]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJkyFOHDnwU
nich
I live here

Post by nich »

Dubstep is really stupid. But not as stupid as death metal where all they do is yell in a microphone.
If you don't have the temperament to pursue your dreams then no one is going to do it for you.

Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

I hated dubstep for a very long time. Recently I have found that I do like light dubstep and even some slightly heavier stuff when done in what I would consider a tasteful fashion. All the songs I post here with dub I actually really, really enjoy. But still most of the stuff I hear people play and the stuff they mix into songs on the radio is just complete garbage to me.
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

Just thought I would share this. It's an original made by one of my really close friends (an ex actually lol). I actually really like it even though it's heavier than what I typically listen to.

NaughtyBits - Up Against
https://soundcloud.com/naughtybits/naug ... up-against