Birthday cake for someone who's never had one

Don't lie. You're singing the song now, aren't you?

Moderator: Yaz Pistachio

Beany
Demimod

Birthday cake for someone who's never had one

Post by Beany »

It's my friend's 16th birthday in a couple of weeks' time, and I really want to make her a birthday cake. Because of her upbringing (she lives as if she were in China, but in England, if that makes sense), she has never had a birthday cake before. I really want to make the perfect cake for her, but I generally only make sponge, coffee or carrot cakes and decorate them to look nice. Does anyone have any cake suggestions for someone that isn't very good at cookery?
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Re: Birthday cake for someone who's never had one

Post by chex »

I use a box mix with homemade butter cream frosting. You could use a white cake mix and make multicolored layers.
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

A sponge cake is fine. Icing in different colours are widely available. There are even mixes available for dirty icing. On the internet there are a gazillion recipes for fillings. I made my daughter one with mascarpone, white chocolat and strawberries. You could make a filling with ingredients that she really likes.
For the icing, the one that I bought is really easy to use. It does not dry out fast so you have plenty of time to create your cake. Pick colours that she likes.
For inspiration browse the internet. It does not matter if you copy one that you like. The most important thing is that you are ginving her something that you have put all your soul in to make. I am 100 % certain that she will LOVE it.
Don't start with wanting to make your own icing.
So basically you need: a sponge cake, filling, dirty icing, incing. And time. Plan a whole afternoon, or even a whole day to make it. The time you don't need is a bonus, but if you get short on time you get frustrated and that will not be good for the result.
And use real unsalted butter, not margarine, especially for the dirty icing.
Good luck with it, I know you can do it.
And we want a pic of the finished cake.
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

A confetti cake would be fun! ;D
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

Thanks for the suggestions. Her birthday isn't until a couple of weeks' time, so I'll plan it later in the week.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆