Charm Bracelets

Where our local artists create!

Moderator: Beany

Beany
Demimod

Charm Bracelets

Post by Beany »

My friends decided to make us into a 'group' a while ago (they even came up with a group name...) and they were talking a while ago about how nice it would be to have personalised bracelets to remind us when we leave school how close we all are. So I'm now planning to make charm bracelets for them. I'm trying to get them all to choose their favourite thing (hobby, thing, whatever). Only two of them have replied so far, one naming a singer and the other choosing philosophy (and a third sulking because I said no Spanish literature or Spanish indie music). I've worked out that I'm going to have to use Fimo clay to make the charms, but I haven't got a clue how. I'll buy some clay to try it out first, but I have no idea how it'll turn out. Have any of you used it before?

For the singer, I'll try to make the tag from his website (which doesn't look too difficult, but I don't know whether the clay expands or rounds or anything):

... but for philosophy, I have no idea. My friend suggested Socrates (she doesn't actually know what I'm doing), but I don't have the skill or patience to make seven Socrates charms. What else represents philosophy?
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Re: Charm Bracelets

Post by chex »

Could you do something similar to this?
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

Oh, that's clever. I could try that.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

I've used Sculpey clay. http://www.sculpey.com/ The color stays quite bright. They do shrink a tiny bit when you bake them, but the edges do not go soft like cookie dough. I think I may start making some more stuff this year.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

How about crochet bracelets with buttons or beads? Maybe you can find some unique buttons for each person or beads representing some characteristics of that person. Or other tiny items you can put a hole into.

LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

How about a feather for phylosophy? Or a question mark.
I've used Fimo before. A lot. It does not expand or loose (sorry if I'm using the wrong "loose" here. I just can't remember what to use when. Bad teachers ;) ), it's shape. It does shrink a itsybitsyteenyweeny bit, so it might tear if you use an iron or wood core. Might, does not nesseccarily happen.
You might want to buy Fimo soft rather than classic. The classis is much tougher and harder to knead. Knead it thouroughly before shaping it. What I do is knead a pea sized piece until it is soft, then add a little and knead it though and so on until I have the amount that I need.
Do not exceed the oven temperature given or the time it needs to be in the oven. Do not attempt to bake it in the microwave. Some colours contain metals which can destroy your microwave.
If you want to test"bake" a piece, you can boil some water on the stove and put the Fimo in the boiling water. It will be dull and sometimes blotted, but for testing it's fine.

If you want to make a hole in the charms for attaching it to the bracelet you can do that before baking it with a needle, or afterwards with a very thin drill.

Remember that the charms for a bracelet have to be small. Bigger than 2 cm is too big. Trust me on this. I wear a charm bracelet a lot, and big charms are a pain in the butt.
Good luck with your project.