Die Welle

Review all movies, new or old here! Lots of people on this forum like to talk about movies, so if you have a movie to discuss just make a topic for it! These topics will be full of SPOILERS!
MisTer Pockets
Ancient Moderator

Die Welle

Post by MisTer Pockets »

So, I heard about this German film that came out last year, and I just finished watching it. VERY powerful movie. It is about a high school teacher discussing autocracy, who wants to prove to his reluctant students that a dictatorship could once again ride in German. He starts a unified group with his students, called "Die Welle" or, "The Wave" in English, and it takes off from there. Obviously, everyone gets very involved, and they become corrupted with fascist thoughts that they are far superior than the other social groups in the city.

It is based on a true story, and definitely a must watch if you ever have the time. Grossly underrated movie that deserves more attention.!
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Re: Die Welle

Post by chex »

Netflix doesn't have it right now, but I saved it.
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

It's a good movie, it shows how easily people can be influenced. The movie doesn't completely go with the book, which I recommend reading. It's not long and fascinating to read. The author is Morton Rhue.
MisTer Pockets
Ancient Moderator

Post by MisTer Pockets »

chex wrote:Netflix doesn't have it right now, but I saved it.
Well, it is still only in German. I downloaded a video file to watch, and it came with a subtitle file that you could turn on...

I am seriously considering reading the book now, too...
chex

Post by chex »

Netflix has foreign films. :?
Forky
Ancient Moderator

Post by Forky »

I only read the book so far, *cough* in the 9th grade or so. But yes it's a very good book, that show some social dynamics and such. Though it's not that big, only 180 small pages.

Should watch the movie, eh? - I give it a go, though i wanted to wait till it's in free TV :P
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

They made a version of this for TV about 20 years ago. Saw it. Very profound. The end is a nice dose of wake-up call/reality check.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
MisTer Pockets
Ancient Moderator

Post by MisTer Pockets »

chex wrote:Netflix has foreign films. :?
Yeah, I worded that like a prick. I don't know what I was trying to say. it was like 6am, and I was exhausted. Maybe I assumed the DVD did not support subtitles. Whatever. :?
Forky wrote: Should watch the movie, eh? - I give it a go, though i wanted to wait till it's in free TV :P
This is why I torrent.
GreatZot wrote:They made a version of this for TV about 20 years ago. Saw it. Very profound. The end is a nice dose of wake-up call/reality check.
Yep, this one was the same, obviously... but I can't comment too much on it, for the sake of those who have not seen/read it.
chex

Post by chex »

Netflix has this on instant now, so I watched it earlier today. Wow. Powerful stuff. Hard to believe that the kids got in so deep, so fast.
sizz
List Creator / Ancient Demimod

Post by sizz »

I loved this film! I think i watched it when i was about 14, the kids taking German at school watched it, and i thought it sounded good so managed to catch it on tv. The ending was incredible. The way it spiralled out of control was pretty intense too.
chex wrote:Well we are pretty jabberwocky'.