Duke Nukem

nich
I live here

Duke Nukem

Post by nich »

I'm really disappointed about the way people are treating Duke Nukem Forever. It's a pretty good game. But you have the idiot kids complaining that the graphics and story don't blow you away and you got the actual Duke Nukem fans complaining that it isn't Duke Nukem anymore.

I don't understand any of these augments. It's an epic return of Duke Nukem but modernized. It has elements from Duke Nukem 3D such as puzzles, platforming and parts where you are shrunken. But most importantly it has the character and the parody and immature style presentation. It also has classic enemies and guns.

It's basically a next gen Duke Nukem game. That's what's to be expected for a sequel in development hell for over a decade. How are these people expecting this game to be identical to a game that came out 15 years ago? I agree that some changes like two weapon limits and regenerating health shouldn't belong in a Duke game but other than that It's a pretty good sequel.

I recently played Duke 3D and saw many similarities with the next gen installment. The only difference was this game was old. Like really, really old. It was like an arcade game. So tell me, why should a game by today's standards play like an arcade game? Of coarse there's going to be differences. Of coarse there's going to be a story. The Duke fans should have expect modernization. But despite that it still feels like Duke. Old elements returning and new one that represent the style of gameplay. The parody of the whole FPS genre. The badass action hero that is Duke.

Now the worst people are the ones from this generation. They claim the game is your generic shooter gallery. That's febreeze. Does your average FPS have platforming? Driving? Explorations? An environment you can interact with? Puzzles? I admit that the game isn't perfect. I too was disappointed because of my expectations. I expected a deep, lengthy plot with good characters. But it turned out to be simple and short and the characters and relationships weren't important. But at least it had a story and characters. Before it was just text that said "Kill the aliens". It still is pretty much the same plot but it has structure. The story is actually told to you though characters.

So the people who say this is only a 90s game which is terrible for today's standards are stupid. Same goes for the people saying it isn't like the 90s. It's both. The Duke fans should consider it as a reboot which for the most part stays true to the series and the next gen gamers should consider it a good game that isn't perfect. Also the critics can go smurf themselves. This game is good and epic. It doesn't deserve the hate it's gotten.
If you don't have the temperament to pursue your dreams then no one is going to do it for you.